Te Tiriti o Waitangi. The Treaty of Waitangi
Rationale: The Treaty of Waitangi is the founding document of our nation; it provides a framework for partnerships today and in the future. SLANZA accepts its responsibility for attempting to fulfil the intent of the Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- To ensure the vision and work of SLANZA reflects the principles of Te Tiriti O Waitangi
- To make equitable provision for the needs of Māori
- To provide opportunities for school librarians who are affiliated with SLANZA to learn about Māori culture and heritage
- To recognise Māori values and resourcing SLANZA to promote these
- To provide an environment that promotes and supports Māori initiatives and therefore enabling success for our Māori colleagues in librarianship.
SLANZA NE will
- Promote and fund professional development in respect of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Support and ensure that PD provided by SLANZA will reflect Māori perspective.
- Embed cultural practice that is responsive to the needs of Maori
- Develop reciprocal relationships with the Māori community through consultation with the Maori community and those Māori who are experts in the library community.
- Provide training for National Executive members of SLANZA, and regional committees in Treaty of Waitangi issues.
- Review all SLANZA NE policies to ensure that they embrace the intent of the Treaty of Waitangi.